Equity Committee - Comité d'équité
The Equity Committee of the CPA was founded in 1990-1, and works to collect data on the situation of women, visible minorities, philosophers with disabilities, and Aboriginal philosophers in Canada, as well as to share information on best practices to promote equity within the profession. It holds a regular panel as part of the CPA annual meeting to encourage critical reflection on questions of equity.
At the November 1990 meeting of the Executive, then President of the Canadian Philosophical Association, Louise Marcil-Lacoste, was authorized to form a committee to study the hiring policies of Canadian departments of philosophy with respect to the recruitment of women. The membership of the committee was established in December 1990.
|Jane Dryden||Mount Allison||Chair|
|Michael Da Silva||Toronto|
|Ada Jaarsma||Mount Royal|
The Canadian Philosophical Association (CPA) Equity Committee hosted a moderated conversation on equity issues in the profession on June 3rd at Congress 2008 in Vancouver. Participation from any and all interested parties was welcomed.
The two questions which opened discussion were:
- When, and under what conditions, is your research challenged as not really philosophy? Is your research/work never challenged in this way? What might a comparison of these two sets of experiences tell us about some of the subtle ways that authority and equity are linked within the discipline?
- What is your department's formal policy or informal attitude toward hiring non-Canadians, and how does this seem to be changing the landscape for equity-seeking groups within the discipline, who are Canadians, or who have been trained at Canadian institutions?
Reports and Findings / Rapports et résultats
- Summary of the Equity Survey for the CPA 2013
- Equity Survey Final Results
- Summary of the Equity Survey for the CPA (2007-2009)
- Summary of the Equity Survey 2001-2005
- Equity Survey Analyses, May 2009. Data analysis for Q1
- Equity Survey Analyses, May 2009
- AGM Reports of the Equity Committee
- Report of the Equity Committee 2013
- Report of the Equity Committee 2012
- Report of the Equity Committee 2011
- Report of the Equity Committee 2010
- Report of the Equity Committee 2009
- Report of the Equity Committee 2008
- Report of the Equity Committee 2007
- Report of the Equity Committee 2006
- Report of the Equity Committee 2005
- Report of the Equity Committee 2004
- Report of the Equity Committee 2003
- Report of the Equity Committee 2002
- Report of the Equity Committee 1991
- Hiring Toolkit
- "Syracuse U's Guide to Planning Inclusive Events" — http://sudcc.syr.edu/_documents/InclusiveEventsSeminarsGuide.pdf
- "Cornell accessibility checklist": http://www.cornell.edu/disability/docs/accessibility-checklist.pdf
- Australian Association of Philosophy considering the place of woman in the profession
- American Philosophical Association Committee on the Status of Women
- BPA/SWIP (UK) Good Practice scheme http://bpa.ac.uk/resources/women-in-philosophy/good-practice
- "Creating a Family Friendly Department: Chairs and Deans Toolkit" http://ucfamilyedge.berkeley.edu/ChairsandDeansToolkitFinal7-07.pdf
- "ISU Policies & Guidelines for Flexible Faculty Careers: Resources for Chairs and Deans" https://www-provost.sws.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/advance/flexiblefacultycareersresource.pdf
- Syllabi on Underrepresented Areas of Philosophy http://www.apaonline.org/members/group_content_view.asp?group=110430&id=380970
- "Contract faculty: Best Practices" http://accutecanada.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/accute-contract-faculty-best-practices-checklist.pdf
Existing policies on consensual relationships with students:
- Dartmouth: http://graduate.dartmouth.edu/services/undergradrel.html
- Indiana: http://www.indiana.edu/~affirm/pdf/Policies%20&%20Procedures/consensual%20relationships.pdf
- Northwestern: http://policies.northwestern.edu/docs/Consensual_Relations_011314.pdf
- Duke University: https://web.duke.edu/equity/resources/documents/consensual_relationship_policy.pdf
- UCSC: http://www2.ucsc.edu/title9-sh/relations.htm Columbia: http://eoaa.columbia.edu/consensual-romantic-relationships
- Wisconsin: http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/governance/legislation/Pages300-399.htm#307
The Equity Committee of the CPA was founded in 1990-1, and works to collect data on the situation of women, visible minorities, philosophers with disabilities, and Aboriginal philosophers in Canada, as well as to share information on best practices to promote equity within the profession. It holds a regular panel as part of the CPA annual meeting to encourage critical reflection on questions of equity. More ...
Hitting the Job Market (For job seekers.)
See this year's prize winners on the Prizes page.
Can't find what you're looking for? Check the site guide.
University of the Fraser Valley
|Chair:||Anastasia Anderson. Department Head|
(For changes contact web editor)